Saturday, October 1, 2011

October is here

and it is time for a the Real food challenge. Check out this blog about eating unprocessed in October. I have signed up and pledged our family.  I feel like we do pretty well, but sometimes I get a little lax.  This is a nice reminder to commit to the things I think are important. Mostly knowing where your food comes from, and what it is made out of. Everything else is gravy. Probably creamy mushroom gravy. My mom and I could share and entire jug of this.
     My friend Marie passed this onto me via Facebook. My family doesn't know it yet, but we are jumping in with both feet.
     For me real food is about using whole ingredients, and making as much as we can at our house. It  made our monthly trip to Costco yesterday, interesting. I was able to bypass the tortillas with wierd ingredients. I guess we will be eating bread this week since I am not going to another store if I can help it. Along the way we passed the ladies handing out samples, and my kids begged for the two bite brownies. They got to have them, but when asked if we could by some the answer was an embarrassingly loud, "no".  For one we had just made brownies the day before and they were still sitting on the counter.  But even if we had no brownies at home, the ingredient list was not in my comfort zone. Sorry Costco.... I did feel pretty proud about our choices. We bought wine, cheese, mushrooms, spinach, butter, eggs, raspberries, and bananas.  Yum

You can grow cheeks like these. So Pledge with us. 
As they explain on the link you can go as far as you like with the challenge.

4 comments:

Amy Landers said...

What a great picture!

reflections said...

http://theurbanspork.com/2010/05/flour-tortillas/

no weird ingredients, okay so the shortening isn't something I'm a fan of but maybe there is an alternative?

Jessica said...

Its on my list of things to figure out soon.

Julia said...

I agree that one can buy a lot of whole foods at Costco. We always have nuts on hand. Sadly, I don't have time to bake much anymore. I need to spend my time making meals.