Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Apple Crispy

The weather is getting cooler. Time to turn on your oven. Why not put an apple crisp in it. I will attempt to describe this in kid terms and then in a recipe if you are interested in how we do it. I am always trying to marry health (vitamins  minerals, etc) with good taste (sugar, butter).

 I can help you with that mommy. You want the apples where?

 For the sake of this story we will call the boy W and the girl P.
W- " Mmm, this topping is good"

 P- " So this is how you press it in, see"
W- "mm- topping, i love topping. Any more in there?"

 P- "I am pressing it like so. This will then go in the oven and you can have some after dinner."
W- "I think i can get more out. and into my mouth"
 
P- "oh my yes that is good."

Apple crisp 

6 apples sliced and tossed with
2 T lemon juice
2 T honey
and cinnamon (however much you like)

Blend together in a food processor
1 cup Oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nuts (usually we use walnuts)
1/3 cup honey
6 T butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Cinnamon
pinch salt
Press this down on top( as seen above) as evenly as possible. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

vegan- use earth balance non dairy margarine
baby under 1- omit the nuts and substitute sugar or agave nectar for the honey.

Happy apple picking.

1 comment:

reflections said...

haha, omg I can TOTALLY hear this conversation in my head!