Thursday, October 13, 2011

Eating with Kids

I was talking to my friend Allison about an upcoming trip, and she wanted to know what to have on hand for my kids to eat.  It took me a while to really process this request.  I first wanted to say well they eat everything. But that is not exactly true. 

They are offered everything.

Sometimes they eat it and sometimes they don't. There are usually parts of every meal they like, or they wait until the next meal to eat. Still, I feel like they eat a lot of different foods and I feel like there are some things that I do to make that successful. 

1-Get them involved in growing the food.This summer my kids ate more cherry tomatoes than I could get into the house.They pulled carrots and ate them almost every day. And these raspberries lasted about 3 seconds after I showed them to the kids.

2-Get them involved in making the food. I can almost always get helpers in the kitchen for Pizza night, because they can do most of the parts themselves after I get things prepped.  And giving them some control makes them excited about eating the food.  Last Pizza night I let P decide what went on her pizza.  She chose just tomatoes and cheese.  After eating a piece of hers, she asked for a piece of mine. (which was loaded with zucchini, spinach, and mushrooms) I just smiled to myself thinking,"She thinks mine is pretty appetizing"

3-Keep presenting the food . They may not eat it this time. But maybe they will eat it next time. And they will also see that food as normal and not eating it as abnormal.

Happy Eating

No comments: